lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Index design question
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:57:30 GMT
Hi,

> If you store only IDs in Lucene, you won't be able to search using
> > keywords (text).
>

> Let me explain better. Suppose I have an index field called
> categories which
> contains a list of ids for each post. For example - 1 2 45 198. Now I
> can
> search on the contents field but restricted to all posts under a
> particular
> category by using -
>
> "content:java and category:45 or 198".
>
> Note - Not exact syntax but I hope you get the picture. Anything
> wrong with this approach?

Nothing wrong with this approach.  You'll likely want/need to write
your own Analyzer to make sure your numeric IDs are not discarded (some
Analyzers discard them).  Perhaps you'll want to use
PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper.

> That way you get PG+Lucene in a single package.
> >

> That would be a killer combo.
>
> But what I would like to know is if anybody on this list has used
> tsearch2
> but later moved on to lucene because of reasons of speed, search
> flexibility, etc.

Lots of people did that for reasons of speed, flexibility, as well as
disk usage.  If your application is a small one, you may be able to
stick with just PG.

Otis

Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ -- Find it. Tag it. Share it.