lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <>
Subject Re: search caching
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:04:39 GMT
Searches are not cached (other than possibly by the OS/File system).
IndexSearcher can/should be cached (by your application), and how much
memory it consumes depends on ... hm, I thought we included a formula
for that in Lucene in Action, but it looks like we only included the
formula for calculating the number of open files during indexing.

Well, Doug provided this formula a few times, and I don't recall it off
the top of my head, but I do know that the .tii index file will be
fully read into memory, so look at the size of that file to get an
initial idea.