lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Malay Desai <mde...@gmail.com>
Subject coord factor and MultiFieldSearch
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:35:17 GMT
Hi,

I have a question on the way coord factors affects multi-field searches. It
looks like the sum of individual field hit scores is multiplied by a coord
factor of (x/y) where x = no. of fields matched and y = total fields. This
seems to penalize some results, where we get a very good quality hits just
in one field (say in the heading field) compared to less important matches
in multiple fields. I understand that I can tune field boosts but even with
that this coord factor seems to play a role. Can anyone explain how this is
supposed to work and also how overriding the coord in the similarity would
affect other things?

Thanks.