lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <TAig...@WescoDist.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError on addIndexes()
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:31:10 GMT
Please forgive my jumping on this thread, but I have a similar issue.  I
have a server process on Linux that creates the java process (java
-Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar Suchmaschine.jar).  The problem is that after the
processing is done, the memory is retained.  Is there a collection
argument that would shrink the java memory pool back down to the min?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:15 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: OutOfMemoryError on addIndexes()

> > Is -Xmx case sensitive?  Should it be 1000m instead of 1000M?  Not
> > sure.
> >

> I'am starting with:
> java -Xms256M -Xmx512M -jar Suchmaschine.jar

And if you look at the size of your JVM, does it really use all 512 MB?
If it does not, maybe you can try this:

  java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar Suchmaschine.jar

If that doesn't help, it would be good to run this under a profiler and
see what eats your memory.

Otis
P.S.
I recall reading that using the same amount for Xms and Xmx results in
better performance.  Also, consider using -server option (Hotspot), if
you are using Sun's JVM.