lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karl Koch" <TheRan...@gmx.net>
Subject MySimilarity with Lucene 1.2 ?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:00:38 GMT
Hello Lucene experts,

as you might have seen in my previous postings, I am bound to use not more
than Lucene 1.2 (due to hardware limitations I can only use Java 1.1 or
1.2).

I would like to do my own Similarity implementation which, I think, would
allow me to insert other algorithms in Lucene which would enable me to
compare different IR algoritms with Lucene as a framework. I got advice from
here to use DefaultSimiliarity. However, this class was, accoding to the
JavaDoc and the CHANGE text file, only introduced in Lucene 1.3. In Lucene
1.2 it seems to be all hard and solid coded without the intension to have
flexiblility at this point.

Now some questions:

1) Am I wrong here and does somebody know a strategy which could allow me to
have an enhancement that could allow me to add my own IR similarity
algoritm?

2) Does somebody know how to hack the Lucene code in order to make it
happen? I presume some code changes could do that: Either changes in the
Similarity class directly or a change of Similarity to non-final (plus
setters to set new similarities like in Lucene 1.3).

Any other suggestions? I generally like the small-ness of Lucene 1.2 but it
is just that I would like to have a little bit more flexiblity at one
point...

Karl