lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dave Kor <s0454...@sms.ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Did you mean?
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:50:56 GMT
Quoting Martin Rode <martin.rode@programmfabrik.de>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Has anyone tried to code a solution like Google's "Did you mean?" in
> Lucene?
>
> I would be very happy to hear your ideas, approaches, suggestions.

I know that what Google does is look at consecutive queries by the same user
that are similar. If the two queries are very similar, with only one or two
characters changed, there is a very high probability that one of the query is a
correct spelling while the other is a "common" misspelling. Its easy to figure
which is the correct spelling by looking up the words in a dictionary. All they
have to do now is add the mispelt store the correct and mispelt word pair in a
mapping table and reference that table for every query.

Of course, this only works because Google's huge query volume ensures that they
can get sufficient quantities of such query pairs.