lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser not thread-safe
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:01:29 GMT
On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 13:47 -0300, jhandl@fibertel.com.ar wrote:
> Hi! I've been having problems with lucene's QueryParser, apparently it is not thread-safe.

> That means I can't parse queries in threads where the queryparser object is created once
and reused for each query. If I do, the resulting queries may have all kinds of weird problems,
for example missing terms, duplicate terms, etc.

> I don't like the idea of creating a new queryparser for each query, so I am looking for
alternatives. Any ideas?

Using a non-threadsafe object in a threaded environment is fairly
standard in Java, just wrap it in a synchronized block.

If you don't want all threads waiting on one query parser, create a pool
of them.

--
Miles Barr <miles@runtime-collective.com>
Runtime Collective Ltd.