lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ray Tsang <saturn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and numerical fields search
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:39:45 GMT
It seems TooManyClauses is a potential problem for any query that
expands to a series of OR'ed boolean queries (PrefixQuery,
WildcardQuery, RangeQuery...).  If the max was set too high, the
inefficiency would make the search unsable.

I kind of worked around this by creating a BitSetQuery, and extended
PrefixQuery and WildcardQuery so that they rewrite to BitSetQuery.
This at least made both queries usable on a large index (~40mil
documents) with acceptable speed, without the use of filters.  I also
extended QueryParser so it creates the new PrefixQuery and the new
WildcardQuery instead of the ones provided by the distribution.

Ray