lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karthik N S" <kart...@controlnet.co.in>
Subject RE: BOOLEAN OPERATOR HOWTO
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:31:15 GMT
Hi

Apologies.......

Given a Search word = 'erik OR hatcher AND otis OR gospodnetic' , Is it
possible to RETURN COUNT
occurances for each of the word with in the Searched documents.

This would give me the Each word's Term Frequency.

How to achieve this

Thx in advance
karthik

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 6:39 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: BOOLEAN OPERATOR HOWTO

On Jul 18, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> I have 2 Questions.
But there were no question marks!   I don't understand your questions
at all, sorry, but I'll see if I can decipher it somewhat....

> 1) The Search Criteria  src  requires to automatically fill   "  "
> between  Search words with a Boolean Operator   "  AND ".

You mean to achieve AND'd clauses?   By default, OR is the operator,
and AND must be explicit.  You can construct a QueryParser instance
and set the default operator to AND, though, and then OR must be
explicit.

>  2) The Search Criteria  src  requires to automatically recognise
> the existing  Boolean Query  ' AND , + '  present and append the same
>      with  out any manupulations.
>
> Ex : -
> Search Word  =
>
> 'Lucene in Action Erik hatcher and  Otis  + Gospodnetic '   =
> lucene AND action AND Eric  AND hatcher AND otis + gospodnetic .
>

> How to Achieve this , Is there any mechanism built into Lucene to
> handle such situations.

Yes, this sounds like the default operator is what you're looking
for.  Since you use "Lucene in Action" as an example, flip to page 94
for more discussion on this, and then flip to the other pages
mentioned here:

     http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=default+operator

Erik