lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Brackett" <nbrack...@net-temps.com>
Subject RE: Search deadlocking under load
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:46:28 GMT
Otis,

After further testing it turns out that the 'deadlock' we're encountering is
not a deadlock at all, but a result of resin hitting its maximum number of
allowed threads.  We bumped up the max-threads in the config and it fixed
the problem for a certain amount of load, but we'd much prefer to go after
the source of the problem, namely:

As the number of threads hitting lucene increases, contention for locks
increases, meaning the average response time decreases.  This places us in a
downward spiral of performance because as the incoming number of hits per
second stays constant, the response time decreases, meaning that the total
number of threads inside resin doing work will increase.  This problem
compounds itself, escalating the number of threads in resin until we crash.

Admittedly this is a pretty harsh test (~~20 hits per second triggering
complex searches, which starts fine but then escalates to > 150 threads as
processing slows down but number of incoming hits per second does not)

Our ultimate goal, however, is to have each search be completely and 100%
parallel.

The point of contention seems to be the method below:

FSDirectory.java:486 (class FSInputStream)

  protected final void readInternal(byte[] b, int offset, int len)
  		throws IOException {
  	synchronized (file) {
  		long position = getFilePointer();
  		if (position != file.position) {
  			file.seek(position);
  			file.position = position;
  		}
  		int total = 0;
  		do {
  			int i = file.read(b, offset+total, len-total);
  			if (i == -1)
  				throw new IOException("read past EOF");
  			file.position += i;
  			total += i;
  		} while (total < len);
  	}
  }

The threads are usually all lined up to reach this.  Why are so many threads
backed up behind the same instance of FSInputStream.readInternal?  Shouldn't
each search have a different input stream?  What would you suggest as the
best path to achieve 100% parallel searching?  Here's a sample of our thread
dump, you can see 2 threads waiting for the same FSInputStream$Descriptor
(which is the synchronized(file) above):

"tcpConnection-8080-11" daemon prio=5 tid=0x08304600 nid=0x8304800 waiting
for monitor entry [bf494000..bf494d08]
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.readInternal(FSDirectory.java:412)
        - waiting to lock <0x2f2b7a38> (a
org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.refill(InputStream.java:158)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.readByte(InputStream.java:43)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.readVInt(InputStream.java:83)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermDocs.read(SegmentTermDocs.java:126)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.TermScorer.next(TermScorer.java:55)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanScorer.next(BooleanScorer.java:112)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Scorer.score(Scorer.java:37)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:92)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:64)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:43)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:33)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:27)
        at
com.nettemps.search.backend.SingleIndexManager.search(SingleIndexManager.jav
a:335)
        at
com.nettemps.search.backend.IndexAccessControl.doSearch(IndexAccessControl.j
ava:100)

"tcpConnection-8080-10" daemon prio=5 tid=0x08336800 nid=0x8336a00 waiting
for monitor entry [bf4d5000..bf4d5d08]