lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Brackett" <nbrack...@net-temps.com>
Subject RE: Runtime full text search like in Microsoft Windows Search
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:18:58 GMT
I imagine you could index the info you wanted to quickly search on into a
RAMDirectory (assuming it wasn't too much info), then run simple or complex
searches on that, but I that might take longer to do than simple regex
searching on files. That would only give you a gain if you were going to run
repeated searches on that set of data.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tardif, Sebastien [mailto:STARDIF@anacomp.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 2:57 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Runtime full text search like in Microsoft Windows Search

How can you use Lucene like the very limited but fast search that
Microsoft Windows Search provide?

The use case is that the users have a CD with lot of files. I provide
them a nice user interface. They have the option to generate the full
text search index but they should also be able to search without an
index generated. I know that will be slow, but Microsoft Windows Search
is still able to search 500 MB in less than 30 seconds for simpler
matching.

How can I use Lucene for this simpler, not existing index, search?

Or should I have to hook to operating system specific API like Win32 on
Windows?