lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Sentence and Paragraph searching
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:03:39 GMT

On Jul 1, 2005, at 8:16 AM, Peter Laurinc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm newbie to lucene.
> I wan to ask, how to implement search for phrase that must be in
> sentence/paragraph.
> I did see som examples, that uses term position changing, but I think
> that this is not the way, because it breaks classic proximity search.
> (if one word is on end and second of begining of next sentence)

It really depends on your needs.  If you never need proximity across
sentence boundaries, then what's the issue?   Putting a large gap at
sentence boundaries makes good sense for some needs.  Maybe not so
for your situation?

I'm definitely interested in what others have done with this sort of
thing.

At the extreme, if all you wanted was to find sentences and did not
need to query for terms in multiple sentences at one time then you
could index each sentence as a separate Document.

     Erik