lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Most Useful Lucene Taglib?
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:54:18 GMT

On Jul 4, 2005, at 9:45 PM, Chris Fellows wrote:
> Perhaps it may be an overkill of a taglib, but my familiarity with
> Lucene dates to only this weekend. On the other hand there has been
> a sustained trend to move away from scriptlets.

By no means was I suggesting scriptlets, though pragmatically there
is nothing wrong with view-tier scriptlets in JSP pages.  There is
something wrong with JSP in general :)  (it would be off-topic to
elaborate)

Being new to Lucene is even the more reason to use Lucene's
straightforward and simple API directly rather than start with what
is probably taglib of mediocre quality.

I presume you have some sort of MVC architecture in your system?  If
so, the controller would receive a query from the client, perform the
search, and push the results to be displayed to the JSP (perhaps as
Hits or a subset of the documents as a Document[]).  Paging controls
for displaying Hits could simply be hyperlinks back to the search
with an additional page parameter that the controller will use to set
the starting point for that page.  There isn't much more needed that
that, is there?

> IS there a strong web client user base of Lucene?

Of course.  http://www.lucenebook.com for example, which uses
Tapestry for the searching and results page.

     Erik