lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Help with custom sorting - ignoring case on string fields.
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:23:46 GMT
Ian - I'll look into this issue in more detail as soon as I can, but
one reasonable approach is to add a special field designed for
sorting that has all case normalized to either all upper or all lower
such that sorting is case insensitive.  Note that Field.Text is not a
good choice for sorting, as it is highly likely there would be
multiple terms for that field which does not work with sorting.   See
the javadocs for Sort:

     http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/
Sort.html

So given this, a think a special field for sorting that has been
lowercased but uses a non-tokenized but indexed field type is the
best choice.

Erik