lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Index Partitioning ( was Re: Search deadlocking under load)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:54:18 GMT

On 13/07/2005, at 1:34 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Since this isn't in production yet, I'd rather be proven wrong now
> : rather than later! :)
>
> it sounds like what you're doing makes a lot of sense given your
> situation, and the nature of your data.
>
> the one thing you might not have concidered yet, which doesn't have to
> make a big difference in your overall architecture, but might
> influence
> the specifics of your design, is the idea that eventually you might
> want
> to seperate Projects on onto different physical servers, letting
> you put
> "important" projects on their own server, so they are alllways
> available
> (even if they are the LRU).

Yes, thanks, initially we won't do this until we understand more
about the profile of usage, and how the IndexSearchers are being aged
out of the cache.  We have a mirror index server kept in sync, and
plan to put Apache in front of them (as long as we can prove the 2
parts of the mirror stay in sync, initially we'll just set apache to
favor 1 server, with manual failover until we're completely sure).
We have plans to be implemented eventually that include an Index
partitioning such that not all projects sit on each server, and they
broadcast what project contain to clients.

Paul