lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lamprecht <clampre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Loading large index into RAM
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:29:10 GMT
If you're under an x86_64 machine (AMD opteron, for instance), you may
be able to set your JVM heap this large.  But if you have 6GB RAM, you
might try keeping your JVM small (under 1GB), and letting linux's
filesystem cache do the work.  Lucene searches are often CPU-bound
(during the search phase anyway) and loading into a RAMDirectory won't
help here.  It's the second "phase" of search -- pulling all the
lucene Documents from disk -- that's often I/O bound, and can benefit
from being in RAM.

-chris