lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tardif, Sebastien" <STAR...@anacomp.com>
Subject Static index on CD, how much forward compatible is the index
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:32:33 GMT
Otis,

Let say I have a static index on CD, and my customer will be using this
CD for the next 10 years. I will also probably fix bug in the
application that use the CD and probably want to upgrade Lucene library
at some point. How much backward compatible is Lucene with old index
when Lucene release new version?

Does Lucene has any "good" history on index backward compatibility?

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 3:34 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Runtime full text search like in Microsoft Windows Search

As somebody already said, you can have an in-memory index with
RAMDirectory.  You can also pre-build a Lucene index on that CD - CD is
"static", you can't add/remove/change files on it, so you can build an
index and burn it onto the CD at the same time when you put the Word
files on it.

As for getting the indexable text out of Word and other documents, look
at the code for the Lucene book - http://lucenebook.com - there is a
little framework there, that parses and indexes a number of common file
types.

Otis