lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Runtime full text search like in Microsoft Windows Search
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:01:41 GMT

On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:12 PM, xing@mac.com wrote:

> If Microsoft Search does as you describe. Isn't it just:
>
> 1) Open file
> 2) Determine file type
> 3) Convert file content to UTF8, if text based, and you have the
> API to read it. .html, .txt., .doc, .excel, etc.
> 4) Perform string search, regex.
> 5) Continue to next file
>
> As far as I know, Lucene is not designed for unindexed search.

The new MemoryIndex might be perfect for this sort of thing.  I
suspect Microsoft's search doesn't allow anything but a term/exact-
phrase kinda query, so even MemoryIndex might be doing more work (and
thus slower) for a fair comparison.  However, you'd be able to do
rich queries using MemoryIndex and it has been heavily tuned for
performance.  The slow part will be simply reading the files and
converting them.

     Erik