lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Vedr. Re: Design question [too many fields?]
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:25:56 GMT
>>about 4900 room units which I think is OK as far as
>>Still we have optimization work to do.

Assuming your availability is a year in advance and yours is a reputable chain of hotels that
books rooms by the day, (not the hour!) You only need:
4900 * 365 bits of true/false info to cache all the availability data you need.
This is a Bitset occupying less than a megabyte of RAM.
You could index into this sort of structure very quickly (for the appropriate date/doc positions)
and  get a big performance boost.
Perhaps more complex to implement but certainly a very fast solution.