lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Hubert <klaus_hub...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:09:54 GMT
Hi Chris,

I've not thought about that. I'm almost done with my
program and I will give
yours also a try as suggested. I have the lasest
(recommended) JDBC 3.1.10.
But I still have to download and install Tomcat or
similar to run your .war
file. I think 5-24h is not that bad, since you can
update the Lucene index
in future and not go over this long building time
again. Your demo looks
really nice and its fast. Congratulations!

Bye,

  Klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lu [mailto:chris.lu@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 5:47 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer

Hi, Klaus, thanks.

You can simply use DBSight to create the index. It's
in Lucene's standard
format.
And you can control index field type, analyzers, how
to select data from
database, number of java threads, etc, just by web UI.
No coding is needed.
We have a user who didn't know Lucene at all, and have
3 database searches
up and running in one week.

To index a huge index, say 1 million records, it may
take 5 ~ 24 hours
depends on the record size, computer size, etc.
Actually most of the time is
spent on JDBC pulling the data.

Special warning: MySQL's JDBC driver has a bug leading
to OutOfMemory if you
do a select with lots of rows. You must download the
latest JDBC(dev
version) and use setFetchSize().

Chris
---
Full-Text Search on Any Database
http://www.dbsight.net

On 7/13/05, Klaus Hubert <klaus_hubert@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> this is indeed a cool application, but I need just
to create the
> index. I definitely will look into your file and see
if it makes my
> life easier. Can you tell any details how long it
took to create such
> a huge index? What experiences you have with the
slowest search? Does
> it go over 1 second? (I know, it depends on the
hardware, but I'm just
> wondering)
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Klaus

search.

> Most of the things are done by web UI. No coding is
needed to create
> your search.
> check out this demo.  http://search.dbsight.com
>
> It's free to download and test. Free for developer
edition, non-profit
> usage.
>
> Chris Lu
> ---
> Full-Text Search on Any Database
> http://www.dbsight.net
>
> Klaus Hubert wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I played with several search engines to replace
MySQL
> FULLTEXT index
> >and hope that Lucene is the best solution for that.
> >
> >I am reading Mannings book on Lucene in action and
it
> seems to be the
> >most powerful search engine I found so far.
> >
> >I'm stuck at some problem and need help from you
> experts. I managed to
> >create an index as described in the examples. I
also