lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Hubert <klaus_hub...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:05:23 GMT
Hi,

Thank you all so much for the crash course in Java for
Beginners. Indeed the
last time I used java was 1996... Lol. But I'm getting
now very close. It is
all about the right declarations of classes and
includes at the correct
location. I have almost done it. I will publish my
code to the community if
somebody is interested.

Bye,

  Klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: Xing Li [mailto:xing@mac.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:38 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer

Kalus,

Just a few days ago I couldn't even remember how to
compile java code. Last
time I touched java was like 2001. Don't worry, Lucene
is extremely easy,
once you know a bit of fund java. It's no different
than any other language.
Just syntax. I recommend Java from Deitel & Deitel.
Fell in love with their
practical written style back in college.

Below is what I whipped up quick to test mysql
connections...

Just add  the following to an lucene book sample. You
need to download
ConnectJ jdbc driver from mysql site and put the jar
file in your path
variable.

my_db db = new my_db();
db.connect();

ResultSet = rs;

rs = db.query("select * from mytable limit 100");

whiel(rs.next()) {
....... = rs.getString("mysqltablefieldname");
//return string value of
mysql row/column....
...copy code from lucene...
}.

import java.sql.*;

public class my_db {

        public Connection conn = null;
        public Statement stmt = null;
        public boolean loaded = false;

        public boolean load() {
                try {
                        // The newInstance() call is a
work around for some
                        // broken Java implementations

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");
                        return true;
                } catch (Exception ex) {

                        System.out.println("Cannot
load mysql driver.");
                        return false;
                        // handle the error
                }

        }

        public boolean connect() {
                if(loaded == false) {
                        loaded = load();
                }

                if(loaded == false) {
                        System.out.println("Can't load
driver.");
                        return false;
                }
try {
                        conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://ip:port/dbname?user=user&password=
pass");

                        stmt = conn.createStatement();
                        stmt.executeQuery("SET NAMES
'utf8'");

                        return true;
                }
                catch (SQLException ex) {
                        // handle any errors

System.out.println("SQLException: " +
ex.getMessage());
                        System.out.println("SQLState:
" + ex.getSQLState());

System.out.println("VendorError: " +
ex.getErrorCode());
                        return false;
                }
        }

        public ResultSet query(String sql) {
                try {
                        return stmt.executeQuery(sql);
                }
                catch (SQLException ex) {
                        // handle any errors

System.out.println("SQLException: " +
ex.getMessage());
                        System.out.println("SQLState:
" + ex.getSQLState());

System.out.println("VendorError: " +
ex.getErrorCode());
                        return null;
                }
        }

}

On Wednesday, July 13, 2005, at 05:23AM, Klaus Hubert
<klaus_hubert@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi Xing,
>
>I have the book and as I wrote in my initial message
I managed to
>create the sample index as well managed to read
mySQL. But I seem to be
>not able to combine those programs :-( I'm very new
to Java and I
>haven't found a nice Debugger so far to go step by
step through my
>code. I will try today all day to get this fixed. I
know, it shouldn't
>be too difficult.
>
>Thank you,
>
>  Klaus

read straight
>from mysql into lucene via java. There is no benefit
of exporting data
>to xml just to regrab the data back into lucene.
>
>Get the Lucene In actioin book if you haven't cause
all the samples
>there are real-world practical. Are you need to add
is 10 lines of
>mysql type java/jdbc code and you are ready to create
your first index.
>Download luke for lucene, GUI testing tool so you can
browse the index,
>perform searches, validate/test search performan
bottlenecks, dissect
>queries, etc.
>

>On Wednesday, July 13, 2005, at 05:04AM, Klaus Hubert

><klaus_hubert@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Ian,
>>
>>That's something I'm looking for. Right, a simple
>source code which
>>reads a database and adds the fields to the index.
>What I've found also
>>so far is another solution at
>>http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-lucene/.
>>First step is
>>to export my MySQL database in simple XML and go
from
>there. It is just
>>an additional step and I would stick with this if I
>don't find another
>>method to do all at once.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>  Klaus

rs.getString("f2"));
>>   ldoc.add(Field.Keyword("f3", rs.getString("f3"));
>>   iw.addDocument(ldoc);
>>}
>>
>>rs.close();
>>iw.close();
>>

>>On the IDE front, most people seem to use Eclipse
>nowadays.
>>

>>--
>>Ian.
>>
>>On 13/07/05, Klaus Hubert <klaus_hubert@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I played with several search engines to replace
>>MySQL FULLTEXT index
>>> and hope that Lucene is the best solution for
that.