lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <>
Subject Re: Search Timeout - abort a search
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:07:22 GMT
On Thursday 07 July 2005 16:06, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Has anyone ever written code to make it possible to return from a
> search, after a given amount of time, returning the results that have
> been collected so far (but not necessarily all of them)?
> The only thing that I can see to do through the public Lucene API's
> would be to do the search using a HitCollector - and just stop recording
> the hits after X amount of time has passed - but this would only
> partially solve the problem... lucene would still continue to call the
> HitCollector collect method until it finished.
> Is there something else I'm missing?

To stop the search from a HitCollector just throw an IOException or
an Error and catch it where the search was started.
Since most searching in Lucene already throws IOException
you might try and use a subclass of IOException for the time out.

Paul Elschot

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message