lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tony Schwartz" <t...@simpleobjects.com>
Subject if delete all docs in segment - when is segment deleted
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:50:09 GMT
If every doc in a segment is deleted, when does the segment go away?
Without me having to dig too deep, I was hoping someone could help me prepare for this
eventuality.  I have an index that grows infinitely.  Old docs are deleted each day just
before new docs for that day are added.  If I set MaxMergeDocs to some number, say 1
million, and the segment has 1 million docs in it, and every doc in that segment is
deleted, will the segment ever be deleted?  If not, how difficult would it be to add
some type of trigger to detect this "all deleted in segment" condition so lucene could
remove the huge segment to free disk space.  I'm concerned the segment will never be
deleted.

Tony Schwartz
tony@simpleobjects.com
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Ones that understand binary and ones that
don't.