lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen Halsey" <st...@moreover.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser, phrases and stopwords
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:58:42 GMT
Hi,

I'm just writing to ask if you know if the the change discussed below is likely to be in the
next version of Lucene as a default for StopFilter.   I'm happy to apply the diff supplied
by Mike Barry on my own source code to stop "climate control" matching "climate of control",
but if its likely to go into the new version soon I'll hold off and and download that.

thanks a lot

Stephen Halsey
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erik Hatcher
  To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
  Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:55 PM
  Subject: Re: QueryParser, phrases and stopwords

  On Jun 16, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

  > On Thursday 16 June 2005 04:17, Erik Hatcher wrote:
  >

  >> So we could change StopFilter to put the gaps back in safely now, I
  >> think.
  >>
  >> Thoughts?
  >>

  > I personally don't have a problem with this, but shouldn't such a
  > change be
  > optional? Like a parameter for StopFilter or a StopGapFilter? I'm sure
  > there are people who prefer the way it is done now.

  Making it optional is ok by me, though I'm curious about a use case
  that would prefer it the way it is now.  Searching for "lucene in
  action" and having it match documents with "lucene action" in them
  seems awkward to me in a precision context.  Google allows
  wildcarding of words with an asterisk:

       <http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22lucene+*
  +action%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

  Erik