lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tony Schwartz" <t...@simpleobjects.com>
Subject RE: Lucene vs Derby (vs MySQL) for spatial indexing
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:11:24 GMT
Lucene will work perfectly for what you need.
Use a "RangeFilter" for the latitude/longitude and a "Sort" on your
population.
If you have a crazy amount of data and limited memory, you can modify lucene
easily (open source) to to handle filtering and sorting in a more "memory
friendly" way.  Since you only have 2 million records, I think lucene, out
of the box, is exactly what you're looking for.  It will perform extremely
well.

Tony Schwartz
tony@simpleobjects.com
"We're going to need a lot more cowbell."

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Kor [mailto:s0454888@sms.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:44 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org; Andrew Boyd
Subject: Re: Lucene vs Derby (vs MySQL) for spatial indexing

Quoting Andrew Boyd <andrew.boyd@mindspring.com>:

> I did a small demonstration application using lucene's range query and it
> worked fine.
> I didn't use a DB at all
>

> "Mosul_Iraq.html", "E043.13535"
> "Mosul_Iraq.html", "N36.33608"
>
> Having the directional (E, W, N, S) worked out well
>
> Andrew

The reason Lucene is called a search engine and not a database is because it
is
optimized for text-data or data which obey zipf's law. Sure, you can use
Lucene
on data that doesn't obey zipf's law, but there will be an linearly
increasing
(or is it exponential?) performance cost. As you add more ordinal data
(especially floating point numbers) to Lucene, you increase the time taken
for
each and every single query.