lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "MariLuz Elola" <mel...@seinet.es>
Subject Text or Keyword
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:54:53 GMT
Hi,
I am not sure if I have to index using Field.Text or Field.Keyword. I know that :

Keyword-Isn't analyzed, but is indexed and stored in the index verbatim.
This type is suitable for fields whose original value should be preserved in
its entirety, such as URLs, file system paths, dates, personal names, Social
Security numbers, telephone numbers, and so on. For example, we used
the file system path in Indexer (listing 1.1) as a Keyword field.

Text-Is analyzed, and is indexed. This implies that fields of this type can
be searched against, but be cautious about the field size. If the data
indexed is a String, it's also stored; but if the data (as in our Indexer example)
is from a Reader, it isn't stored. This is often a source of confusion, so
take note of this difference when using Field.Text.

I have indexed the same value on the same field firstly like Field.Text and secondly like
Field.Keyword.
I am using QueryParser.
These are the results of some test:

----------------------------------------------------------------TEST 1------------------------------------------------------------
FIELD ==> NAMEFILE; VALUE ==> name one
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Query                                        Index like Field.Text
            Index like Field.Keyword
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAMEFILE:name*                                OK
                          OK

NAMEFILE:one                                    OK
                           NO

NAMEFILE:"name one"                            NO
                       NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------TEST 2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIELD ==> NAMEFILE;VALUE ==> NAME TWO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Query                                                Index like Field.Text
                    Index like Field.Keyword

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAMEFILE:NAME*                                            OK
                                      NO

NAMEFILE:TWO                                                OK
                                       NO

NAMEFILE:"NAME TWO"                                    NO
                               NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------TEST 3-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIELD ==> NAMEFILE; VALUE ==> name two

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Query                                        Index like Field.Text
            Index like Field.Keyword

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAMEFILE:name*                                OK
                          OK

NAMEFILE:two                                   OK
                          NO

NAMEFILE:"name two"                            NO
                       NO

My questions are:

1.- I would like to search for the complete namefile with white spaces and I don´t know how.

2.-I don´t understand the behaviour or Keyword with uppercase and lowercase.

Thanks in advance