lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Index Replication / Clustering
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:56:50 GMT
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Many interesting points.

Paul Smith wrote:
> Why not try using JMS messaging to send messages to the indexing  server
> that Document X needs to be updated via a JMS queue?  This  gives you
> the flexibility to have the indexing system down but not  lose the
> message that it needs to be indexed, and also allows the  indexing
> server to be 'busy' without affecting the application that  is
> performing the updates from slowing down too.

Excellent idea.

> If you use ActiveMQ for JMS, you can take advantage of it's Composite
> Destination feature and have a virtual Queue/Topic that is actually
> several Queues/Topics.  This is what we use to keep a mirror index
> server completely in sync.  The application sends an update message  to
> a queue named "queue://index1, queue://index2", which becomes 2
> separate queues for the 2 servers, allowing them to process the same
> message whenever they can get around to it.

Ah, the composite topic, is indeed a good nice. But out of
curiosity...did you put your 2 nodes (consumers) as embedded brokers or
is the producer as the main broker ?

> We then place Apache in front of these 2 mirrored Index/Search nodes  so
> the application can use web-services to query the search node  without
> actually being aware that there is 2 of them behind the  scenes, leaving
> Apache to do the load-balancing and fail-over as the  index/search nodes
> come up/down without the main application knowing  anything about it.

Ideally, the 2 nodes have the same state when running.

What happens when a node fails and that you put it back online and that
it needs to catch up with all missing messages in its queue ?
Is it considered 'offline' until it catches up ? If yes how do you do it
? If no, I guess you don't mind that a search request may not give the
same result depending on the node it is load-balanced, correct ?