lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul.Illingwo...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: Performance with multi index
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:48:41 GMT

I guess that if you have 10 indexes each with a merge factor of 10 with
documents evenly distributed across those indexes then on average there
will be a merge every 100 documents.

If you have a single index there will be a merge every 10 documents.

If you increase your merge factor from 10 to 100 on your single index then
maybe you'll see similar performance but bear in mind the limitations about
the number of open files and memory consumption. I have seen quoted
somewhere that this should be no bigger than 50 (where I can't remember).

PI.

             JM Tinghir
             <jm.tinghir@gmail
                                       java-user@lucene.apache.org
             16/06/2005 15:33                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Performance with multi index
             java-user@lucene.
                apache.org

> Well, it just took 145 minutes to index 2670 files (450 MB) in one
> index (29 MB).
> It only took 33 minutes when I did it into ~10 indexes (global size of 32
MB).

Forgot to add, that it does not only indexes files, it also creates
XML documents. So don't worry if takes 30 minutes to index 450 MB.

But the difference in time is due to the fact of indexing in one index or
not.

JM