lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: No.of Files in Directory
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:43:40 GMT

On Jun 30, 2005, at 2:23 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> With my Experience of Lucene since 2004,I can say that u need to
> update the
> Index Once in a day (rather then doing it for every upload),But if u'r
> requirement say's u have to make the Doc avaliable on the run then
> u may do
> so.....

Karthik - I'm concerned that folks will get the wrong idea about
Lucene based on your advice about indexing once per day.  Lucene does
very well with incremental indexing, and it really depends on the
nature of the application on the granularity of indexing.  There
would be no problem for most normal use applications to index when a
document is uploaded - especially given that they will be 3-5 page
Word documents and not massive PDF files or something that needs to
be done in a background process.

     Erik