lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser, phrases and stopwords
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:55:54 GMT

On Jun 16, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Thursday 16 June 2005 04:17, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>

>> So we could change StopFilter to put the gaps back in safely now, I
>> think.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> I personally don't have a problem with this, but shouldn't such a
> change be
> optional? Like a parameter for StopFilter or a StopGapFilter? I'm sure
> there are people who prefer the way it is done now.

Making it optional is ok by me, though I'm curious about a use case
that would prefer it the way it is now.  Searching for "lucene in
action" and having it match documents with "lucene action" in them
seems awkward to me in a precision context.  Google allows
wildcarding of words with an asterisk:

     <http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22lucene+*
+action%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

Erik