lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lock File exceptions
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:30:02 GMT
Hi,

Recently I looked at the locking mechanism of Lucene. If I am correct,
I think the process for grabbing the lock file will time out by
default in 10 seconds. When the process timed out, it will print out
the IOException.

The lucene locking mechanism is not within threads in the same JVM. It
uses lock files so that other processes (even perl program) could also
be synchronized in terms of accessing the index.

The implementation of the current Lucene locking mechanism uses
"polling" mechanism, i.e, constantly check if the lock file could be
obtained. It would be better that a wait/notify mechanism could be
used rather than polling.

If you don't care about other JVM or process access, maybe you can use
the Java 1.5 reader/writer lock mechanism for synchronizing between
multiple readers and one writers?

Cheers,

Jian