lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how long should optimizing take
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:12:21 GMT
Hi,

optimize() merges the index segments into one single index segment. In
your case, I guess the 2G index segment is quite large, if you merge
it with any other small index segments, the merging process definitely
will be slow.

I think the performance should be ok without calling optimize().
Moreover, could you call optimize() every several days, say, every
week?

Cheers,

Jian

I think you don't need to call optimize() that often, given you only
have 30 documents each day to be added to the index.