lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Using the Searcher.java sample in a web application
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:34:57 GMT

On Jun 21, 2005, at 7:58 AM, Brian wrote:

> Hello all,
>      I recently downloaded lia source code and see
> that the chapter 1 sample cod e shold do all I need
> for now.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) How would I take the Searcher.java sample and put
> it in a web application.
> 2) How would I go about automating the indexer.java?
>
> Just looking for pointers. I'm new to java and lucene.

Brian - it is beyond the scope of this e-mail list to go into
building a web application, though with some trial and error you
should be able to get something running within a day or less.  Here
are some general pointers:

Download the latest Tomcat binary release, install it, and get its
built-in samples working.  Since you've already toyed with Lucene's
web demo, you're probably already at this point.  Create a new
directory under Tomcat's webapps directory, place a WEB-INF directory
under that, then copy the Lucene web app's web.xml over to your new
WEB-INF directory.  Place a simple "hello world" JSP file in your new
web app directory (above WEB-INF).  Restart Tomcat, and make sure you
can navigate to http://localhost:8080/<dirname>/some.jsp and see what
you put there.  Now copy Lucene's JAR file over to WEB-INF/lib.
You're now ready to start integrating the search piece into the JSP,
and here is where you start borrowing pieces of code from LIA's
Searcher.java and the Lucene demo web app.

I hope some of that helps.  Java is a big big scary world, so I can
sympathize with the learning curve ahead of you.

     Erik