lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ben <newread...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene in clustered environment (Tomcat)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:20:50 GMT
How about using JavaGroups to notify other nodes in the cluster about
the changes?

Essentially, each node has the same index stored in a different
location. When one node updates/deletes a record, other nodes will get
a notification about the changes and update their index accordingly?
By using this method, I don't have to modify my Lucene code, I just
need to add additional code to notify other nodes. I believe this
method also scales better.

Cheers,
Ben

On 6/7/05, Nader Henein <nsh@bayt.net> wrote:
> I realize I've already asked you this question, but do you need 100%
> real time, because you could run batch them every 2 minutes, and
> concerning Parallel search, unless you really need it, it's overkill in
> this case, a communal index will serve you well and will be much easier
> to maintain. You have to way requirement vs. complexity/ debug time.
>
> Nader Henein
>
> Ben wrote:
>
> >>When you say your cluster is on a single machine, do you mean that you have multiple
webservers on the same machine all of which search a single Lucene index?

> >Yes, this is my case.
> >

> >>Do you use Lucene as your persistent store or do you have a DB back there?
> >>

> >I use Lucene to search for data stored in a PostgreSQL server.
> >

> >>what is your current update/delete strategy because real time inserts from the
webservers directly to the index will not work because you can't have multiple writers.