lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lu <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design question [too many fields?]
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:27:49 GMT
Mark, your suggestion will incur another trip to the database. And if
the search results is large, filtering in DB by pk is not really good.

Erik, your original "date" field is good when there is not many
dates(<1024) in the database. Otherwise, Range Query can not handle it.

My suggestion is, use "year" + "month" + "day" three fields to store
date. And when searching, for example, any date that's greater than
2005-06-30, you can use this query to search: ( year > 2005 ) or  (
year=2005 and month>=6) or ( year=2005 and month=6 and day > 30 ).
It's a combination of BooleanQuery, TermQuery, and RangeQuery.

This may seem cumbersome, but it can save one trip to database, and
circumvent Lucene's limitation.

Chris Lu
http://www.dbsight.net