lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nader Henein <...@bayt.net>
Subject Re: Index comparison
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 06:08:49 GMT
I am as interested in the answer to the first question as you, so we'll
have to wait on an answer from one of the senior guys, I imagine in a
perfect world both indecies should be the same if the same data is fed
in assuming no errors occurred during indexing.

As for the second question, if you as merely comparing if the documents
exist/ or not from one index to the next, you could compare one index to
the other taking on as your primary using range queries to retrieve
collections of IDs and then using the Java collection API to do Union
and Difference comparisons, at least that's how I did it, or
alternatively you could compare both indecies to the persistent core /
or set of files that you created the index from in the first place.

Hope this helps

Nader Henein

Sergeev Alexey wrote:

>I am building the same index using different ways:
>1) Whole index at once;
>2) Step by step and then merging all parts together;
>
>When I compare index files I see that they have different sizes, that's why I'm not sure
whether indexes has the same content or I've made any mistake in my index building logic or
not.

>So, the questions are:
>- Should the both indexes be equal (the same file amount and sizes)?
>- Does anyone know the best way how to compare content of two indexs for equality? (may
be already existed tool or only manual checking of all documents, terms and so on using Lucene
api)

Nader S. Henein
Senior Applications Architect

Bayt.com