lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Search for documents where field does not exist?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:33:10 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2005, at 5:54 PM, tareque@controldocs.com wrote:
>
>>> Please do not reply to a post on the list if your message actually
>>> isn't a
>>> reply. Post a new message instead.
>>>

>> Sorry about that.. wasn't intentional.. clicked reply to get the reply
>> address and then forgot to change the subject :)
>

> Even changing the subject after doing a "reply" is not sufficient as
> it will still end up in the same thread erroneously.  You need to
> create a new message to start a new thread.  (certainly this varies
> by mail client, though)

The reason for this is that when you reply to a message you get an
"in-reply-to" header that refers to the message-id of the original
header; you may also get a "references" header that performs a similar
function for other message in the thread.   I haven't come across a mail
client  that drops the in-reply-to when you change the subject.

If you want to find out exactly what your particular mail client does;
reply to a message of your own and then look at the message source or
the original message headers (what you're looking for depends on the
client, sometimes it's obvious, sometimes its hidden in message properties.)

jch