lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <>
Subject Re: Optimizing indexes with mulitiple processors?
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:54:50 GMT
Peter A. Friend wrote:

> I changed that value to 8k, and based on the truss output from an
> index run, it is working. Haven't gotten much beyond that to see if
> it causes problems elsewhere. The value also needs to be altered on
> the read end of things. Ideally, this will be made settable via a
> system property.

Has anyone tried to tweak this on a RAID array on XFS?  Its confusing to figure out the ideal
read size.

My performance benchmarks didn't show any benefit to setting this variable higher but I'm
worried this is due to caching.

I tried to flush the caches by creating a 5G file and then cating that to /dev/null but I
have no way to verify that this actually works.

I just made the BUFFER_SIZE veriables non-final so that I can set them at any time.

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit
See #rojo if you want to chat.

Rojo is Hiring! -

      AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web -