lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: Lucene search clusters
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:11:18 GMT

You should state your requirements clearly:

1. What data you want to cluster? (whole index/ search results)
2. What is the role of the extension? How is it going to be used?
(front-end clusters, query refinement, etc)
3. Do you need the implementation or an API for clustering in the
source code? (I'd personally stick to the API; there are many products
out there that perform clustering. Carrot2 is no exception -- there is
an excellent (in my humble opinion :) open source clustering algorithm
Lingo, but there is also a commercial component that is much faster and
more customizable. You can start off with an open source clusterer then
and switch to a commercial product if you want higher scalability or
different functionality. I implemented such an API in Nutch -- take a
look in its source code for hints).

Dawid