lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <rhod...@yahoo.com>
Subject What *is* a lucene document?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:11:57 GMT
I understand that  "Documents are the primary retrievable units from a
Lucene query"  But I don't know if I want to have 12 documents in the
lucene index that represent the same business object, or if I should
place 12 different business documents within the lucene index.

Here is the background:
I want to index a product catalog (some data in database and some data
on the filesystem, I have cross-reference between the two).
Each product is associated to attributes, categories and one or more
PDF/MS Word documents, HTML descriptions, images, etc...
A product could have 12 different files associated to it.

Is it okay if I create as many documents as assets that I want to return
from a search and add information to each document tying it back to the
product that it is assocated with?  Is that the right approach?

Thanks, it's keeping me up at night.

BTW, I am working on a release of a professional-grade ecommerce suite
that is open-source (apache license), I wouldn't mind help on the
lucene/search stuff.   There's plenty more for me to do.  120+ tables,
going to prod for a client this weekend (without search;)  Contact me!