lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: managing docids for ParallelReader
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:37:01 GMT
Sebastian Marius Kirsch wrote:
> I took up your suggestion to use a ParallelReader for adding more
> fields to existing documents. I now have two indexes with the same
> number of documents, but different fields.

Does search work using the ParalleReader?

> One field is duplicated
> (the id field.)

Why is this duplicated?  Just curious.  That shouldn't cause a problem.

> I wrote a small class to merge those two indexes into one index; it is
> attached to this message. However, when I run this class in order to
> merge the two indexes, I get a NullPointerException:

Why are you merging?  Why not just search using the ParallelReader?
Again, just curious.  This should work.

> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.ParallelReader$ParallelTermPositions.seek(ParallelReader.java:318)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.ParallelReader$ParallelTermDocs.seek(ParallelReader.java:294)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.appendPostings(SegmentMerger.java:325)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfo(SegmentMerger.java:296)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos(SegmentMerger.java:270)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTerms(SegmentMerger.java:234)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:96)
> 	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addIndexes(IndexWriter.java:596)
> 	at org.sebastiankirsch.thesis.util.ParallelIndexMergeTool.main(ParallelIndexMergeTool.java:27)

This could be a bug.  I have not tested merging with a ParallelReader.
Can you please try to adding a test case to TestParallelReader that
demonstrates this?

Thanks,

Doug