lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how long should optimizing take
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:10:25 GMT
I would run your optimize process in a separate thread, so that your web
client doesn't have to wait for it to return.

You may even want to set the optimize part up to run on a weekly
schedule, at a low load time.  I probably wouldn't reoptimize after
every 30 documents, on an index that size.

Optimizing takes a while on your index, because it basically has to copy
the entire index to a new index, so it will take how ever long it takes
to copy 2 GB's on your hardware + a small amount of overhead...

Dan