lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: no EnglishAnalyzer ?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:57:52 GMT

On Jun 28, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking around at analyzers for use in Lucene.
>
> Among the contributions, the Snowball projects' output seem quite
> nicely usable.
>
> However, right in the box of lucene-1.4.3.jar, there's a
> GermanAnalyzer, using a stemmer, and a RussianAnalyzer. Several
> other languages can be found in the contribs directory.
> Any reason I cannot find an "EnglishAnalyzer" and an EnglishStemmer ?
> I don't think the other analyzers I could find (e.g.
> StandardAnalyzer) are based on stemmers.

Paul - if stemming is what you're looking for, then grab the
SnowballAnalyzer code from Subversion under contrib/snowball.  Or you
could get a binary copy of the JAR from the source code distribution
of Lucene in Action at http://www.lucenebook.com (and see examples of
its use in the sample code there).  Lucene's JAR does have a built-in
PorterStemFilter, but none of the built-in analyzers use it, and the
SnowballAnalyzer is more commonly used anyway.

     Erik