lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Design question [too many fields?]
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:58:55 GMT
Presumably there is also a free-text element to the
search or you wouldn't be using Lucene.

Multiple fields is not the way to go.
A single Lucene field could contain multiple terms (
the available dates) but I still don't think that's
the best solution.
The availability info is likely to be pretty volatile
and you always want up-to-date info so I would prefer
to hit a database for this. If you keep a DB primary
key to Lucene doc id look-up cached in memory you can
quickly construct a Lucene filter from the database
results and therefore only show Lucene results for
available rooms.

Cheers
Mark