lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aalap Parikh <alo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Pros/Cons of a split index over a single large index
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:39:36 GMT
Hi,

I just a general question: What are the pros and cons
of a split index(a number of small indexes) as opposed
to a single large index?

As I have repeatedly seen in various posts at this
group, people have opted for split indexes in cases
where they have a large number of documents (say > 1
million) in the index and in such cases updating and
merging of indexes becomes costly in terms of
performance. I have also had the same experience. So
was wondering if splitting the index into a number of
smaller indexes would improve the performance of
index-modifying operations, while at the same time NOT
SACRIFICING the index search operation.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Aalap.