lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <TAig...@WescoDist.com>
Subject RE: Indexing puncutation
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:33:42 GMT
Thanks for the advice.  I have replaced punctuation before the index is
built and then queried on the same lack of punctuation.  I had to create
a separate index for this as well so I have the original information,
but I think I will take your advice and build a custom token to filter
out the punctuation but keep the contents the original.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Krugler [mailto:kkrugler_lists@transpac.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:39 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Indexing puncutation

>I do a vaguely similar thing;  I have to strip accents from
>characters such as e-acute out of both my input data and my incoming
>search queries to put them into a standard form.  I do this with a
>custom TokenFilter subclass.  I have an analyzer that includes this
>filter along with some of the standard ones (LowercaseFilter, etc).
>I run the same analyzer on indexing and searching, which has been
>discussed in other posts.

For a hard-core approach to this problem, you could try converting
all text to Unicode first, then use the ICU package to create a level
0 "sort key" (the C API is col_getSortKey). This will be a string
suitable for comparison to determine weak equality, but you can also
just index it as a regular token.

There are some subtle issues w/locale-specific behavior of the sort
key generation step, where you could guess at the right locale to use
for the conversion, but in general that shouldn't matter.

Two other issues are code/data size (ICU can be big) and the
performance hit while indexing documents.

-- Ken

--
Ken Krugler
TransPac Software, Inc.