lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dave Kor <>
Subject Re: Question for Wildcard Search:
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:00:29 GMT
Quoting Dave Kor <>:

> Quoting Erik Hatcher <>:
> > Anyone tried this technique with Lucene?
> Actually, the problem is that the wildcard code has to search over a large
> subset of terms because the list of terms is, well, a linear structure.
> If, for example, all terms in the index is arranged as a suffix tree, the
> sort
> of wildcard search that currently is cpu intensive will no longer be cpu
> intensive.

Hmm I realized I should add a qualifier to the above statement. Searching for
matching terms would no longer be cpu intensive, especially for wildcards like
*foo* or *foo. The other wildcard search problem of having too many matching
terms to lookup in the index still remains unsolved.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message