lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Urs Eichmann <urs.eichm...@prismanet.ch>
Subject RE: Weird Problem with Lucene
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:53:05 GMT
First, sorry for the double post. I had problems with subscribing to the
mailing list and thought my first message didn't go through.

Thanks you Chris and the others for your valuable tips. It was indeed a
problem with the Analyzer. I used the SimpleAnalyzer and thought from the
doc's that it will change uppercase to lowercase. It seems like it didn't do
that. I changed the Analyzer to WhitespaceAnalyzer, and now it seems to work
OK. I don't completely understand why it didn't work before, but now it
does, and that is all it counts...

Urs

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_lucene@fucit.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:02 AM
To: 'java-user@lucene.apache.org'
Subject: Re: Weird Problem with Lucene

: I do the following in Luke's Program:

I have to confess, i've never acctually gotten arround to using Luke, but if
i understand what you're saying, and if Luke is doing what i think it is,
then i believe your problem is an Analyzer issue...

: b) Enter term field-name: unit and value="DOSE", hit "Show all docs"
: c) A list of 5 documents is displayed, which is ok. The query is
unit:DOSE.
: The parsed query is unit:DOSE and the rewritten query is unit:dose

I'm assuming that when you enter that info in, Luke is doing a strict
TermDocs lookup for Term("unit","DOSE") and finding your docs.  Then maybe
it's making a TermQuery out of that Term, showing you the toString on that
query, and the toString of hte query it gets from the QueryParser ... but it
looks like the QueryParser is using an Analizer that lowercases your term
(making it "dose" instead of "DOSE")

When you do a search on this new TermQuery -- you get nothing, becuase
that's not the acctual term in your index.

: Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? The problem is, the
same
: behaviour is in my program, e.g. if I look for "unit:DOSE", I will get no
: documents returned. However, on many of the other 26 fields, it runs OK,
and
: I can't see any difference in the field definitions.

do you see common behavior for all fields which are (non-)tokenized?

if so, then like i said: analyzer.  your query parser is probabbly not using
the analyzer you want it to.

-Hoss