lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "M. Mokotov" ...@mokotov.org>
Subject RE: using the CachingWrapperFilter
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:56:19 GMT
Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The problem is I need only the caching without any date or query
functionality.
Since the only two constructable-without-wrapping Filters are the
QueryFilter and DateFilter, I need either to have a dummy filter, or to have
a constructor for the CachingWrapperFilter that doesn't wrap (meaning a
constructor that doesn't get a filter as a parameter).

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Mickey.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 2:52 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: using the CachingWrapperFilter

On May 26, 2005, at 5:02 AM, M. Mokotov wrote:
> Can someone please explain me how do I use the CachingWrapperFilter?

There is a bit of it demonstrated in Lucene in Action.  Here are some
snippets that (sort of) describe it:

     http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=CachingWrapperFilter

You can grab the LIA source code from that site also.

> I see that it's built in a decorator way (getting on the
> constructor another
> filter and decorate it with caching), still I don't see any basic
> filter to
> be the 'root'.

There are two concrete Filters built in to Lucene - QueryFilter and
DateFilter.  QueryFilter already has built-in caching, but DateFilter
does not.  CachingWrapperFilter was created to separate caching from
the filtering aspects, allowing filters to free themselves from
having to cache themselves.

> On the tests I saw there is a MockFilter, but I couldn't find it on
> the
> jars.

We don't package up the test code as a JAR file - but if you check
out Lucene's code from Subversion you'll find it under src/test

> Do I need to create such a filter myself? Does anyone using the
> cache needs
> to create his own dummy class?

This all depends on what you're trying to do.  A Filter is used for
long standing constraints of the document search space.  You would
not use a "dummy" class, but rather a real filter such as the ones
just mentioned.  And whether you use the CachingWrapperFilter depends
on which filter you choose or if you create a custom one.  The Lucene
in Action source code has an example of a custom Filter.

     Erik