lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "JMA" <mrj...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: Problems with concurrency using Tomcat
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:16:38 GMT

I will try that thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Vos [mailto:fred@fredvos.org]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 3:16 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problems with concurrency using Tomcat

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 07:05:06PM -0400, Joseph MarkAnthony wrote:

> I have been struggling with this problem for months and have made no
> progress.
> I have created a simple web app for my Lucene indices that allow the user
> rebuild or update the index.
> In the *same* web app (perhaps this is important), I have the search
module.

> The update module works fine - until someone tries a search.  Then the
> update will no longer be allowed to access the index directory.  The error
> is somethign like "cannot delete _a.cfs" or somethign similar.
>
> I'm running Tomcat on Win2000, and I've pretty much confirmed that it's a
> WINDOWS locking problem, not a lucene problem per se.  This is the windows
> "Cannot delete, File may be in use" situation that you may often get if
> someone else if using a file and you try to delete it.  You see this
> situation many times outside of Lucene.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this?  It seems to be a Tomcat problem
because
> I cannot duplicate the error in a standalone Java app.  I've seen a few
> posts on this and the resolution is often to copy the index and then
update,
> then copy it back.  This can't be the only way to fix this.

Have you tried to add the -DdisableLuceneLocks=true flag to the RUNJAVA
command of catalina.sh? I had to add it to run servlets accessing lucene,
but
I'm not sure what my problem was.

Lines 219-227 of my catalina.sh (running jakarta tomcat 5.0.16 under linux):

  else
    "$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \
      -Djava.endorsed.dirs="$JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS" -classpath "$CLASSPATH" \
      -Dcatalina.base="$CATALINA_BASE" \
      -Dcatalina.home="$CATALINA_HOME" \
      -Djava.io.tmpdir="$CATALINA_TMPDIR" \
      -DdisableLuceneLocks=true \
      org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@" start \
      >> "$CATALINA_BASE"/logs/catalina.out 2>&1 &

Fred